M, b. circa 3 July 1642, d. 29 May 1722
|Father||Jacques Hertel b. 1603, d. 10 Aug 1651|
|Mother||Marie Marguerie b. 12 Sep 1620, d. c 26 Nov 1700|
Joseph-Francois was born in Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Canada. He was christened there on 3 July 1642 in the Cathedral de l'Assomption.1 Joseph-Francois married Marguerite-Josephe Tavenet on 2 September 1664 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, at the Basilica of Notre Dame.2 Francois & Marguerite had children: Zacharie-Francois [m. 1/17/1695 Marie-Charlotte Godfroy], Madeleine [m. 1694 Etienne Veron], Jacques [3/16/1667-9/04/1748][m. 11/26/1691 Marguerite-Therese Godfroy], Jean-Baptiste [10/26/1668-1721][m. 11/23/1698 Jeanne Dubois & 2nd 2/06/1708 Marie-Anne Baudouin], Louis [5/14/1673], Rene [3/26/1675], Lambert [10/17/1677], Marie Francoise [11/01/1679-3/05/1770], Claude [1/02/1682], Michel [10/07/1685], Pierre [3/18/1687], Marguerite-Therese [10/17/1690] & Joseph [ -8/09/1723][m. 7/04/1698 Catherine Philippe].3 1666, Joseph-Francois and Marguerite-Josephe were listed on the Canadian Census in Trois-Rivieres. Enumerated in this household were Francois Hertel [24 years], his wife: Marguerite-Josephe Tavenet [20 years] & Zacharie-Francois [8 months].4 1667, Joseph-Francois was listed on the Canadian Census in Trois-Rivieres. Enumerated in this household were Francois Hirtel [24 years], Marguerite Jospehe [22 years], Zacharie Francois [2 years] & Jacques [2 months].5 Their son, Jean Baptiste, led the Indians in raids into the English colonies including the Deerfield Massacre. Joseph-Francois's wife, Marguerite-Josephe, died on 16 September 1708 in Chambly, Quebec, Canada, leaving him a widower. Joseph-Francois departed this life on Friday, 29 May 1722 in Boucherville, Chambly County, Quebec, Canada. He was buried there in the Cemetery of Ste-Familie on Sunday, 31 May 1722.6
|Marguerite-Josephe Tavenet b. 1646, d. 16 Sep 1708|
- [S1596] Drouin Institute: Baptism: 3 July 1642 - Francois Hertel, son of Jacques Hertel & Marie Marguerie; sponsors: Francois Marguerie & Marguerite Couillart, wife of Jean Nicolet; at the Immaculate Conception parish , the Cathedrale of the Assomption, Trois-Rivieres - www.genealogiequebec.com.
- [S1596] Drouin Institute: Marriage: 2 September 1664 - Joseph Hertel, son of the late Jacques Hertel & Marie Marguery; and Marguerite-Josephe de Thavenet, daughter of the late Raymond de Thavenet & Elisabeth de Manselin; at the parish of Notre-Dame, Montreal - www.genealogiequebec.com.
- [S1598] Research Program In Historical Demography: Famiy Cedrtificate Number.
- [S1598] Research Program In Historical Demography: Census Number 96182.
- [S1598] Research Program In Historical Demography: Census Certificate Number 97089.
- [S1596] Drouin Institute: Burial: 31 May 1722 - Francois Hertel, age: 80 years; at the parish of Ste-Familie, Bouchervlle - www.genealogiequebec.com.